Reading Books

I hope that this Blog post finds you all safe and well.

I know that many of you have asked about your child's reading and what you can do to ensure they keep progressing as we move towards Year Two. Unfortunately, we are unable to send reading books home to anyone at present, this also includes the children that have returned to Year One on a Monday and Tuesday.  

What I can recommend is Oxford Owl. Click the image below to access the website...

                                                 Oxford Owl Reading – Heatherside

It is one of the reading schemes that we follow at Swan Lane First School and they have opened up their eBook Collection for free and added many more book titles to it whilst schools are closed.

In order to help know which level your child should be reading at, they have devised a simple seven stage check to complete with your child. It will hopefully allow you to find a suitable level for your child to read and then you can explore the books on offer.  (I did this check with my daughter and found the books they suggested to be appropriate.) Click the link to access the Reading Level Check...


If you find the books suggested are too easy or too difficult, just move up or down a level accordingly.

I truly appreciate how difficult it currently is to develop your children's reading during this period of 'Home Learning'.  I hope that this will be of benefit for many of you.  
Let me know what you think. 
As always, if i can help in any way then please email me any time or phone school on a Monday or Tuesday.

Take care,
Mrs. Gent

Comments